One of my Favourite Summer Make Ahead Salads
1 cup of cooked lentils – I use French
1 cup thin French Green Beans lightly steamed still crips
3 Roma tomatoes
about 12 black olives
1 large shallot, minced
about 1/2 cup feta
1/3 cup capers
For the vinaigrette:
1/3 cup olive oil
3 Tbsp red wine vinegar
4 nice fronds of tarragon
1 tsp of Dijon mustard
The in’s & out’s of OIL PULLING!
I really have grown to love this process! It has benefited my oral health tremendously.
•1-2 tbs of coconut oil (food grade)
•1-2 drops of your favourite cleansing essential oil (my fav is the OnGuard, protective blend from doterra)
•Simply scoop your coconut oil, and add your essential oil to it.
•Swish it in your mouth for about 20 mins.
Note – this can be tiring for some in the beginning. That’s okay. Just swish as long as you can and your cheek strength will improve over time.
•Spit it out in the garbage (especially if you have a septic system).
•Rinse your mouth with warm water.
•Brush and floss as per your normal routine.
If you do not like the taste of coconut oil you can switch it out for MCT oil. This will have the same benefits as the coconut oil however it is a tad more expensive. Please note that MCT oil is always in a liquid state.
•Helps prevent tooth decay/cavities
•Improves bad breath
•Improves bleeding gums
•Helps with oral inflammation
•Help whiten teeth
•Soothes throat dryness
•Helps with cracked lips
•Supports Immune System
•Strengthens gums and jaw
Oil Pulling Tabs
If you are a DIY guru, this might be something for you. Oil Pulling Tabs are simply a little pre made tablet that is extremely convenient for people on the go!
•Coconut oil (food grade)
•your fav essential oil! Mine is OnGuard
•small silicone pan
•mason jar with lid
•Fill your silicone pan with coconut oil.
•Add one drop of essential oil to each tab
•Refrigerate (or freeze) until solid
•Remove tabs from silicone pan and store them in your mason jar or any other airtight container!
My aspiration is to educate the masses.
Why we don’t purchase doTERA through Amazon;
1. You get what you pay for – the essential oil industry is growing at a fast rate. Many people are in it for the money and not for the true therapeutic benifits of the oil. The caps and seals can be purchased for next to nothing and it is way too simple to dilute or even replace the oils that are in the bottles. Amazon has no control over this and it is scary to think of what’s out there and what is being portrayed as an essential oil.
2. As of March 31, 2016 there are no authorized doTERRA sellers on Amazon.
3. Community support – there is a lot to learn when it comes to essential oils. It’s a journey and is not something that will happen overnight. We have an amazing community set it place to help, guide and support you in any way imaginable! If you purchase from Amazon you do not receive any of that.
Personally for me, because I use the essential oils to support my family and myself I want to make sure that I get guaranteed pure oils and the education to maximize. Plus I get 25% off retail, FREE oils every month AND 25% back on each purchase I make. That is 50% off just because I am a wholesale member.
I was previously very impressed with Charlottes Web CBD Oil and would often recommend it to clients. But the pice tag was SHOCKING and still ran the risk of possible THC interactions 😔 If you don’t know about medical marijuana or hemp, aka CBD, then you need to know that there are two components that have an affect on our body systems – CBD and THC.
CBD interacts with our CB2 receptors and gives us incredible therapeutic benefits such as:
-nervous system support
-lowered insulin levels
*THC is the controversial component that interacts with our CB1 receptors which is responsible for causing the “high” associated with marijuana.
*What you may not know is that there’s a THIRD type of cannabinoid–BCP (aka Copaiba). BCP is the long lost relative we always hoped we’d find!
It was only just discovered as a cannabinoid in 2008. And while it’s different from CBD, it directly affects the same CB2 receptors and is a much more concentrated form.
💧CBD derived from hemp has a 2-4% concentration.
💧CBD derived from cannabis/marijuana has a 5-35% concentration.
💧dōTERRA’s BCP? 60%! Wow!
dōTERRA is the first company ever to formulate their Copaiba using 4 different species making it the highest concentrated cannabinoid available. Yet because it is not a cannabis derivative it will never show up on a drug test or alter your cognitive state out of a natural comfort range.
Lastly dōTERRA Copiba is 1/3 of the price of a good quality hemp CBD! I’d say that in my opinion. I feel Copaiba is the superior option. How about you?!?
We Live and We Learn 💙💚
Did you know there are alternatives to drinking this toxic YUCK. Well I didn’t 😔So last Tuesday into the lab I went and down the hatch IT went. I felt very uncomfortable and very ill within minutes! If you follow myself or know me personally you know that our family does not consume processed foods, dyes, processed sugars, gluten or conventional cows milk dairy. We eat very intentionally clean mindfully monitoring what we consume. So why in the WORLD would I drink this?!?!? Well I didn’t know I had options and I DIDNT ASK or do my own research for lack of information and time.
It took me until Friday to begin to recover from the massive shock and strain the Glucola put on my system. Here’s and shocker for you (NOT) I also failed the test! I wonder Why?!? It was days of MISERY while my body recovered and repaired just ask my husband 😜 So I have spent some time looking into this and speaking to other warrior Mommas like my sister in law 💜 and guess what I discovered? There ARE alternative options available for consumption allowing you to complete the test and also possibly get a more accurate reading. Especially if your like myself and do not consume much sugar or a “standard diet”. Am I disappointed this happened yes, but I’m so excited to have been given an opportunity to grow and learn!!! Begin a advocate for our own health and wellness is a ongoing journey. There are going to be set backs, opportunities to make changes and grow. I’m thankful to have been given another one. I encourage you to do your research always, even if it’s after the fact sometimes. Because yes we are all human even me and I am not a robot with unlimited time. But seeing the value and prioritizing my health is vital, something I take very seriously especially with a reminder like this one!
I am to go in and take the 3 hour glucose challenge tomorrow. My midwife and I have created a protocol that I am comfortable with and I will be writing more on the experience afterwards.
Stay Tuned 💫
But for now if you are looking for alternatives you here are a few by Dr. Romm;
imple blood test that doesn’t require you to ingest anything prior. While there is no set level that determines gestational diabetes (there are levels for non-pregnancy-related diabetes), done early enough in pregnancy it can determine whether you already had undetected diabetes before even becoming pregnant, and a level of 5.45% may be associated with gestational diabetes, in which case you can make dietary changes and wait until 24-28 weeks gestation, when the glucose challenge and GTT are typically done, and then decide whether to test.
2. Consider an excellent diet and random glucose testing. This just requires finger stick blood testing which can even be done by you at home, and is a commonly used alternative for women who can’t tolerate the Glucola. However, one test result alone is not enough to diagnose or rule out GDM, so you’ll want to work with your doctor or midwife to come up with a reasonable schedule for testing and assessing your results.
3. Consider ‘The Jelly Bean Test.’ This test, which has you eat 28 jelly beans, which also provide 50 grams of sugar, has been popular amongst midwives for decades, and now there are GMO-free and naturally-colored brands to choose from. While some data suggests that the results are not entirely as reliable as using the oral glucose test drinks, an article published in a major obstetrics journal states that jelly beans are a reliable alternative that are actually preferred by women and have fewer side effects.” (source)
I’m always on the lookout for opportunities to share information with you. Starching clothing is a dying art but one my grandmother took pretty seriously 😋 Personally the spray bottle with numerous warnings never beckoned me to take up this practice but it does not have to be that way. Did you know you could starch your clothing naturally. Please just ensure the ingredients you are choosing are Gmo and pesticide free. Happy Starching 💜
1 heaping tablespoon cornstarch. You can vary the amount to get a greater or lesser degree of stiffness.
1 pint cold water
1-2 drops essential oil (optional)
1 clean spray bottle
1. Combine the cornstarch and water in a bowl, and stir until the cornstarch is completely dissolved. (The mixture will be milky in color)
2. Add a couple of drops of dōTERRA essential oil for fragrance (if desired)
3. Then, transfer to a clean spray bottle, and use. You want to use a clean spray bottle that hasn’t been used for chemical products. Cornstarch is a neutral chemical, but it could still pick up traces of other products.
We hope that we get your mind jogging with our posts. It is important for us to learn, teach and grow. We absolutely love sharing our knowledge.
Please let us know if there’s something different you want to see or maybe even a specific topic. We will ensure to get it out there for you!
– Elise & Brittany
Hippocrates, the father of Western medicine said, “Let your food be your medicine, and your medicine be your food.”
Looking to build healthier habits? But your BUSY right! You want to create a healthier diet and lifestyle for you and your family but Life and scheduling keeps getting in the way. Time is often perceived as the most precious commodity to the average family today. But a shift is rising and many are beginning to recognize that the most prized commodity one truly has is our health! What our lifestyle and environment consists of is either protecting and fighting disease or feeding it and many individuals are seeking to shift their current approach. Remember, you don’t have to change everything all at once. Start with small steps that you can feel good about. In a previous post I discussed the importance of pure water as our major source of hydration. Today I am writing on basic food choices one should try to follow.
- Add nutrient-rich foods. Instead of thinking about what not to eat, think about the things you can add to your diet. Strive to incorporate more greens and colorful veggies into your meals. If possible use GMO free and organic when possible.
- Eat closer to nature. Concentrate on whole foods in their natural forms, such as fruits and vegetables. If it looks like it did when it grew from the earth, that’s your queue that it’s a healthier choice. I good rule of thumb is also if it’s in a package its been processed, and we want as minimal processing possible in our diet.
- Go for whole grains. Instead of reaching for regular pasta or white bread, look for varieties made with 100% whole grain flour. Better yet, fill your belly with whole grains, such as brown rice, quinoa, oats or barley avoiding wheat flour altogether.
- Avoid “low-fat” products, instead look for unadulterated whole and better yet organic options.
- Reorganize your plate. Think of lean meat and fish caught not farmed as flavor boosters instead of the main event. Put beans, whole grains and veggies in the spotlight, and keep servings of meat and fish(wild caught) at 3 ounces or less (that’s about the size of a deck of playing cards).
Nutrition does not have to be complicated but our current grocery store often seems pretty overwhelming. I great tip is to meal plan lay out your recipes and ingredients needed make a detailed list and do not stray from it. Try to stick to the outer rim of the store or a fantastic option is to avoid the store and its temptations all together. Many grocers now offer an order online and simple pick up option. Jet.com is also fantastic and has free shipping on orders over $35 as well and coupon codes galore! Farmers markets are also a great place to get local produce and get to know your farmer and their farming practices. Plant a garden to alleviate grocery costs get a few chickens if possible. Eating well can be more expensive yes but there are many tips and tricks to keep costs down. Stay tuns for those tips and more.
I want to begin sharing on the basic foundations of health. My aim is to support a undersanding and general awarness. You do NOT have to be a professional to have a fantastic grasp on the functionality of your body and how to best support it. I want to empower individulas to full awaness, objective though and taking their power back from a broken medical system that is sadly dissapointing and failing so many of us!
Water does you body good! Chronic dehydration is a condition which affects many individuals and they are more or less unaware. It contributes to degenerated disease, shortens life span and negatively impacts general quality of life. Water is essential for the proper mechanical and physiological functioning of everything within our bodies. It is the most common molecule in the human body without it your body cannot function normally. Next to oxygen water is the most essential element for your survival. Most common cause of daytime fatigue is mild dehydration. Water helps your body maintain a HEALTHY WEIGHT. Weight management is one of the top reasons individuals seek support and guidance. But we really do have all the tools we need to manage our general heath and wellness on our own. Adequate water intake is one of those tools. It enables your body to excrete excess waste through our elimination system. The kidneys and liver use it to help flush your system of unused matter, as do your intestines. Water plays a key role in helping move the food you’ve eaten through your intestinal tract. If we are consuming predominantly beverages that are NOT water we are increasing our bodies work load, and it is forced into tons of unnecessary extra work filtering through the beverage to get to what it actually needs. This is increasing the amount of unnecessary waste and taxing your systems. Without adequate water intake is very difficult for the body to remove unused matter so it is often stored unnecessarily causing various health issues from minor to major. How much water should we be drinking? A few factors come into play when considering how much you should consume. Your activity level, any medications you may be on, if you drink coffee and how much muscle you have. A simple formula is to divide your body weight in half then divide by 8 to find the number of cups per day you should consume. But if that is too much math aim for 3L. Increasing your intake over a few days to gradually get to 3L.
- Water generates electrical and magnetic energy inside each and every cell of the body; it provides the power to live.
- Water prevents DNA damage and makes its repair mechanisms more efficient – less abnormal DNA is made.
- Water greatly increases the efficiency of the immune system in the bone marrow, where the immune system is formed (all its mechanisms) – including its efficiency against cancer.
- Water is the main solvent of all foods, vitamins, and minerals. It is used in the breakdown of food into smaller particles and their eventual metabolism and assimilation.
- Water increases the efficiency of red blood cells in collecting oxygen in the lungs.
- Water clears toxic waste from different parts of the body and takes it to the liver and kidneys for disposal.
- Water is the main lubricant in the joint spaces and helps prevent arthritis and back pain.
- Water is used in the spinal discs to make them “shock-absorbing water cushions”.
- Water is the best lubricating laxative and prevents constipation.
- Water prevents clogging of arteries in the heart and brain, and helps reduce the risk of heart attacks and strokes.
- Water gives us power and electrical energy for all brain functions, most particularly thinking.
- Drink to a healthier you!
- Water is directly needed for the efficient manufacture of all neurotransmitters, including serotonin.
- Water can help prevent attention deficit disorder in children and adults.
- Water restores normal sleep rhythms.
- Water makes the skin smoother and decreases the effects of aging.
- Water decreases premenstrual pain and hot flashes.
- Dehydration prevents sex hormone production – one of the primary causes of impotence and loss of libido.
- Water reduces the incidence of morning sickness in pregnancy.
- Water helps prevent the loss of memory as we age. It helps reduce the risk of Alzheimer’s disease, Multiple Sclerosis, Parkinson’s disease, and Lou Gehrig’s disease.
- Water helps reverse addictive urges, including those for caffeine, alcohol, and some drugs.
Drink up and cheers to a healthier you ❤
Ok so I wanted to write the second part to my story. But as I sit here trying to knock something out in the limited amount of time I have before one of my three children or husband comes in and I have to step away yet a again. I am feeling lead to just simply write. Because really we all have these stories, these sagas and they have helped us become who we are today but they do not define us. They do however help us relate to each other and allow others to possibly learn and grow though us sharing them. But sometimes I feel like the more I talk about them the more I like etch it to my soul and the more I allow it to define my now and allow them to let me make excuses for myself. I feel sometimes like I’m speaking to the wind and whats the point of all the posts and blogs. Is anyone really even reading them? But well there is always a point and slowly He is revealing his plan as I go. If anyone would have told me even two years ago that I would get personal messages from people I barely know genuinely complimenting and thanking me for my candor or the recipe post I made, even asking advice!!! I seriously would have fallen off my chair! 7 years ago I was in an emergency room laying face down on a hospital bed as a doctor carefully picked out tiny shards of glass from my back with surgical tools. It was the result of yet another fight and the wine glass my husband had thrown at me. I’d love to say I left there and had made this cathartic breakthrough and from that moment on everything changed. But really if we are honest with ourselves does anything ever really work that way?! Is real true change instant or does it require deep raw ongoing hard work. Full of gut wrenching self-realization that sometimes we are not ready to face. It would have been very easy to blame my ex-husband. It would have been very easy to blame my father for leaving in search of a “better” life that didn’t really include us. Or blame a pharmaceutical company and failing medical system. But really where would all that blaming, explaining and excusing get me? Through all of my therapy, personal growth, development mentoring and schooling. The biggest obstacle I discovered I had, was me. I had had a life time of set backs and big events that I allowed to shape who I was but not in a way that served me. I personally have found recognizing that if I would like to be a happier more fulfilled person the only place to look is at myself the most encouraging and freeing discovery. Because guess what I can’t alter the actions of others or what happens around me. But I can choose how I act and react to everything. I am seeking a different result in my world I need to be the ripple of change I want to see in my life. It has been the hardest lifestyle shift to make yet. But the one that is making the biggest impact. Growing up in today’s world we are hardwired for this mindset that holds very little accountability and our life skills can only ever really be as strong as the ones that were demonstrated to us. Unless we recognize a point of needed growth within ourselves we can become stuck. We may hold this beautiful vision of where we would like to see ourselves but not the faintest idea how to get there. We are so focused on looking at outward sources that we lack the skills of looking within. We are educated more by teachers and care staff than our families, we see doctors when we are sick and psychologists when we feel sad. We watch a movie when we are board and go to the drive thru when we are hungry, get a new dress or lipstick when we are feeling down on our bodies. Buy a big house and nice car when we want to feel and appear successful. My gosh the list could go on and on and is the source of this perpetuating circle of individuals who are like me stuck and unable to find a way out. I never thought the hardest skill I would need to learn was ME. I recently heard the most poignant quote.
“I am not here for your understanding of me. I am here for your understanding of who you are. I am your mirror. How you feel about me, what you see in me, the thoughts that arise of your encounter of me, the judgments you hold about me are all reflections of you. They have nothing to do with me.” Emily Maroutian
I was guilty of looking at everyone and everything in my life making excuses, finding fault and placing blame. I saw so much injustice in the cards I was handed and faulted those who were a part of them. But life really is pretty simple if we can learn to know ourselves sit with our heartbreak accept the injustices as an opportunity for growth and change. Look to those people you’ve separated from yourself because they challenged you, and explore why. I truly believe we have the power to speak life or death over ourselves and our lives with the power of our thoughts, actions and words. More often than not we are our biggest obstacle. And our complaints are e reflection of the areas within ourselves that requires some unpacking and growth. What is holding you back? Look in the mirror voice out loud the blame and fault you have misplaced that you feel is the reason for your road block. Then truly reflect on if they are an accurate source in hinderance or simply a reflection of your own personal areas where you might be avoiding truth and growth. I challenge you to stop blaming and complaining and be the change you wish to see in your life. Then you will find true release and growth. Get out of your own way. Be all that you are called to be. I feel like often God places specific people and situations in our life because he needs you to be brought to your knees by the challenge so he can speak in to you and weed out that which needs to Go!